Click Here to get this from pYzam.com!
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Well, the inevitable finally happened
We got to visit a Ukrainian hospital today. Yes, whale went and did it. I am not a doctor but I am going to tell you that he didn't listen to us yesterday was playing in some sort of tree and this morning when he woke up he had an itchy rash on his arm. We called M and told her about it and we said we thought it was Poison Ivy, but she said it doesn't exist in Ukraine. She fortunately has a friend who is a skin doctor and we went to visit her. Her office is based in the hospital and not only is it a hospital, it is the contagious diseases hospital. M told us not to touch anything at all. She used her foot to open doors, but telling a 5 year old not to touch something is like telling the pope not to pray. You know it is going to happen. No offense to the Catholics, just an analogy. So we went and they looked at the rash to determine if it was chicken pox or an allergy of some sort. There was an outbreak of chicken pox at the orphanage just after we got here. Whale has been vaccinated, but I know that is not 100% foolproof. Anyway, she suggested some medicines and said to come back on Friday. We then went to eat at DaVinci's but my goodness it is very expensive for all of us to eat it was $30 so we will not be going back there. Oh yeah, before I forget the Doctors visit was 50 Hryvna and that is a whopping $10. The medicines we got, two different kinds of pills and a tube of cream was about $2.00 Total. After we ate, we stopped at the outdoor market and bought a new valve for M's hot water heater. They turned off the central hot water for the year, now each citizen has to use their own hot water heaters that hang in the showers in most homes. It is about 7-10 gallon capacity. But it will only heat bathroom water. They have to boil water to wash dishes throughout the winter. This is a crazy country that is for sure. Anyway we got a valve $3, and came back to check email, WHICH THERE WERE NONE!!!!! Thanks everyone. . . . .
We walked over to visit T and let me tell you, today has been the best visit so far. She even ran back to us after she was taken back to her groupa. I think she is coming around. Papa even got a semi smile today. So things are going pretty well there. It probably didn't hurt that we had crackers today. She knows just where to find them in the backpack and that is usually the second thing she goes for, me being the first. :O) smiling here!
Ok, on the adoption court hearing front. . . .
Not great news, but not horrible either. M's friend got the power of attorney today and went to the SDA. They said that they have the document prepared and ready for a signature, but they absolutely will NOT sign it until the fifth day and they are saying tomorrow is the fifth day. Keep in mind they received it via DHL last Wednesday and for some reason I count more than 5 business days there, but whatever. So now we have court on Friday afternoon. That is really ok though because had we had it tomorrow as planned our 10th day would have fallen on a Sunday and we would not have been able to do anything anyway. So this will work out ok. So D (M's Friend) will pick up the document on Friday, because they could not possibly sign it tomorrow morning, huh? They will sign it between 5 and 6 pm and he will pick it up Friday morning and fax it so we can take the faxed copy to court. Then our 10 day countdown begins.
I just wanted to say, I almost named Yesterday's blog the Ganja courier. Two times since we have been here we have smelled someone smoking A LOT of Marijuana. The second day we were here we ended up having to shut our windows so we didn't all get high up here. Yesterday when we were walking back from the orphanage we smelled it so strong for so long it is a wonder we didn't stop for chips before we got home. We made whale run and he didn't understand why, but I don't think he needs to experience a Cheech and Chong moment at 5 years old. There is never a dull moment here in the Wacky world of Ukrainian adoption. I guess that is all for tonight. Please note the bold, capitalized print in the paragraph above and try to remedy that situtation please? Goodnight.


3 Comments:

Blogger Kimbell and Mark said...

Hang in there. Hope the rash clears up - yuck!! We were in Kiev for the TWO MONTHS we were there so did not have to deal with water being shut off- we should count our blessings huh? Just wanted to say HEY and encourage you - you will get home but as you have already found out the folks in Ukraine are really in no hurry to get you there!! Enjoy the down time - and just getting to hang out - I know I know - you just want your own pillow in your own bed in your own house in a place where you can read the signs and drive your own car . . . :) Thinking of you!

Blogger Julie said...

OK Amy, that last paragraph was just too funny!!!! I needed a good laugh after a stressful day :) We're leaving in 12 hours to come to your part of the globe!!! Soooo excited!!!
Hope whale's rash gets better! We're bringing our 4 (will be 5 on the 29th) year old daughter, so if for some reason we cross paths in Kyiv, we could meet up and they can play "in English" :)

Blogger adoptedthree said...

Amy for once I think I am speechless but you can check my thoughts on the EMAIL I sent ya!!!

Oh and I dont care what M says (she emailed me no) you are getting me the picture of her YOU KNOW WHAT!!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home